Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
How do I report an emergency?
Dial 911.
How do I report a non-emergency?
Call (310) 837-1221.
How do I report a traffic collision?
If you have been involved in a traffic collision where you or someone else was injured, please call our communications center by dialing 911, if it is a medical emergency, or you may call the business line at (310) 837-1221. An officer will be dispatched to your location to take a report. Otherwise, you may respond to the station lobby and a counter report will be completed.
How can I get a copy of a police report?
In person: Go to the records section and ask for a copy of a report.
By mail: Send a letter (company requests should be on letterhead) requesting the report.

Please include your name and the report number (example: DR#01-1234). If you don't have the DR#, please give the date, location, and time of the report.

The cost of obtaining a police report varies. Please contact the Records Bureau for additional information at (310) 253-6111.
How do I start or join a neighborhood watch?
If you would like to start or join a neighborhood watch group, please contact the Crime Prevention Office at (310) 253-6258.
How do I request a parking citation review?
Detailed information explaining the parking citation payment procedure and administrative review process are printed on the back of the parking ticket.

Parking citation reviews are conducted by mail. Correspondence should be directed to the administrative review committee and mailed to the post office box listed below. Write a letter explaining why the ticket should be dismissed. Include all documents supporting your argument as well as anything of evidentiary value such as photographs, copies of permits or handicap placards, etc. These items will not be returned, so you are urged to keep copies for your records.

The written review request must be post marked no more than 21 days after the citation was issued. Although it is not required, you are encouraged to forward your review request via certified or registered mail. The letter should be sent to:

    City of Culver
    P.O. Box 2404
    Tustin, California 92781-2404

Failure to pay or contest the citation in 21 days will result in the citation lapsing into delinquency. Fines will be increased and notification will be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles directing them to refuse registration until fines are paid. Click here for additional information.

How can I schedule a viewing for a photo enforcement citation?
Please call the Photo Enforcement Secretary at (310) 253-6269. Click here for additional information.
What do I do if my car has been impounded or towed?
If your vehicle has been impounded due to not having a license or a suspension, the law requires that we hold your vehicle for 30-days. However, special circumstances can warrant the early release of a vehicle. You may schedule an office hearing by phone, or in person, with the Impound Detective. The Impound Detective may be reached Tuesday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (310) 253-6262.
How do I obtain a permit to operate a taxi?
First, you must submit an application with the City Clerk's Office. Once fees have been paid at City Hall, the City Clerk will then cause for a background investigation to be completed by the police department. The police department's Records Section will administer a written test to the applicant and arrangements will be made to have your taxicab inspected by the police department before a permit and identification is given.
How can I get my fingerprints taken?
The Culver City Police Department provides fingerprinting services for a variety of reasons, including teaching credentials, adoptions, employment, sales, real estate, etc. We do not provide fingerprint service for immigration purposes. The hours of operation are on a first-come-first-serve basis and as follows:

    Monday - Friday   8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
    Closed on Holidays

For further information regarding fingerprint services you may call (310) 253-6110. Prices vary and are based upon local, state, and federal requirements.
How do I apply to become a Reserve Police Officer?
Applications are being accepted for Reserve Police Officer in the Police Department‘s Traffic Bureau. Successful candidates will be required to attend a Police Reserve Academy and after appointment, work a minimum of twenty hours per month with the Police Department. Please call The Reserve Coordinator's desk at (310) 253-6273, or, click here: Reserve Police Officer
How do I sign up to become a Senior Volunteer?
If you would like to participate in the Senior Volunteer program, contact the Detective Bureau Lieutenant at (310) 253-6258. You will be referred to the Senior Volunteer Coordinator for an interview regarding skills and abilities.
How do I sign up to become a Volunteer in Patrol?
If you would like to participate in our Volunteers in Patrol program, please contact the Crime Prevention Office at (310) 253-6258.
How do I obtain a film permit?
Your first step is to call the Film Permit telephone number at (310) 253-6216. A Permit Information Packet can then be faxed or mailed to you. The documents in the Permit Information Packet, along with a Certificate of Insurance, will need to be completed and submitted at least 48 hours prior to the issuance of the permit. Click here for additional information.
What can I do about cars and trucks parked in front of my house?
A vehicle can legally park anywhere on any public street. Examples of illegally parked vehicles are: vehicles parked in excess of a consecutive period of 72 hours; detached camp trailer, carry all, dumpster, and semi-trailer between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.; and a vehicle with a gross weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more.
What should I do if I see someone spraying graffiti or committing some other minor violation?
Try to obtain a good description of the subject(s), i.e., race, sex, height, weight, hair color, clothing and age), and the exact location where the crime is being committed. Call the Culver City Police Department at (310) 837-1221 or 911 as soon as possible. If the subject(s) leave the location, tell the police dispatcher which way they were last seen going. If you have the capability of calling the police department while observing the subject(s), this would aid us in apprehending the subject(s).
How can I get a restraining order against someone?
If you need to get a restraining order against another individual you need to contact Santa Monica Court located at 1725 Main Street in Santa Monica. For further information, you may also contact the Domestic Violence Clinic at (310) 458-8331.
How do I get a yard sale permit?
Pick up a yard sale permit at the front desk of the police department.
What is the law regarding noise complaints, i.e., construction, gardeners, etc.?
Construction Noise
Culver City Municipal Code 9.04.020(D)(2) states that construction is prohibited between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, between 7:00 p.m. and 9 a.m. on Saturday, and between 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Leaf Blowers
Culver City Municipal Code 9.04.020(L) states that leaf blowers are prohibited between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Monday through Friday and 5:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Musical Instrument / Loud Radio
Culver City Municipal Code 9.04.020(B) states that musical instruments and loud radios in residential areas are prohibited between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. seven days a week.

Penal Code 415(2) refers to any person who maliciously and willfully disturbs another person by loud and unreasonable noise.
What is the Child Abuse Hotline telephone number?
The Child Abuse Hotline can be reached at (800) 540-4000.

Who do I call if I suspect someone is selling drugs?
Call the Crime Impact Team at (310) 253-6337.
How do I report abandoned vehicles?
Call the Parking Enforcement Section at (310) 253-6255.
How do I request crime statistics?
If you would like information regarding crime statistics in Culver City, contact the Crime Prevention Office at (310) 253-6258.
What is the radar trailer?
Deployment of the radar trailer is frequently the first step taken to address citizens' complaints of speeding vehicles. The trailer's primary purpose is to educate the public. At a glance, a passing motorist can see his or her exact speed and compare it to the posted speed limit. This allows the police department to gain voluntary compliance from the motoring public.

The trailer is also capable of collecting and recording data. This allows the police department to count the number of passing vehicles and obtain an average speed. The radar trailer does not photograph drivers, record license plates or in any way serve as an enforcement tool. It can, however, serve as an indicator of a speed problem. If it is determined that a problem exists the police department can direct traffic officers to concentrate their enforcement efforts in that area.
What routes can I travel if my commercial vehicle exceeds 6,000 pounds?
Commercial vehicles that exceeds 6,000 pounds are allowed ONLY on designated streets. Click here for information on the routes that these commercial vehicles can travel upon.