The Culver City Police Department consists of a total of 159 full time employees. This includes 117 sworn officers and 42 professional staff all dedicated to providing the highest level of police service to the residents, businesses, and visitors of Culver City. In addition, the Department has 14 reserve police officers and 19 volunteers in patrol, who dedicate their personal time to contribute to the success of the police department.
Police Recruit candidates would be hired as at-will civilian Recruits and are required to attend a California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified police academy to receive education and training in all aspects of law enforcement, e.g. laws of arrest, search & seizure, crime prevention, community relations, first-aid, physical conditioning, self-defense, handling of weapons and other related duties. Upon graduation from the academy, the Police Recruit is sworn as a Police Officer and assumes the duties of the position in the bureau to which they are assigned. The Police Officer position has a one year probationary period.
The Department offers a variety of special assignment opportunities:
- Compensation: Base Pay $74,661.86-$97,613.88 (Top Step) Annually
*A top step police officer in possession of an Advanced Post Certificate can earn $116,258.25. This includes the Special Assignment Pay, Uniform Allowance and Wellness benefit.
- POST CERTIFICATION: 9.5% for Intermediate Post and 12.5% for Advanced Post
- LONGEVITY PAY: (Annually) $5,000 at 10 years, $8,000 at 15 years and $11,000 at 20 years
- BILINGUAL PAY: 5% above base hourly rate PLUS POST certificate pay
- SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT PAY: (All members receive) 4% above base hourly rate PLUS POST certificate pay
- FIELD TRAINING OFFICER PAY: 8% above base hourly rate PLUS POST certificate
- RANGEMASTER PAY: 7% above base hourly rate PLUS POST certificate pay
- Uniform Allowance: $1,600 annually
- Wellness Benefit: $450 annually
- RETIREMENT: Membership in CalPERS (Public Employees Retirement System)
retirement plan - 3% at 55 for "Classic" members or 2.7% at 57 for "new" PERS
members. (May be eligible to purchase up to 4 years military credit
- DEFERRED COMPENSATION: Employees may voluntarily contribute to a city
sponsored deferred compensation plan
- HEALTH BENEFITS: A choice of health (CalPERS medical plans), dental, vision, and
life insurance plans for employees and eligible dependents
- LEAVE BENEFITS: Includes holiday, in-lieu time, sick and vacation pay
- 112 hours In-Lieu Holiday Pay (annually)
- Comp Time Bank: Up to 240 hours
- LIFE INSURANCE: $50,000 term life policy with an AD&D feature
- "3/12" Work Schedule for Patrol
- College Tuition Reimbursement
- High School graduation or equivalent.
- Applicants must be at least 20 1/2 years of age when the eligible list is established.
- Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
- Valid California Class “C” driver license required at time of hire.
- **A felony conviction is disqualifying.
- **Pre-Service/Academy Graduate Only: Must be currently enrolled in a California POST Basic Academy or have graduated within 12 months from date of application.
- **Lateral Transfers Only: Must be employed as a full-time sworn peace officer within 12 months prior to application closing date. Copy of Basic POST certificate required.