Carry A Concealed Weapon Licensing - CCW
The issuance of licenses enabling a private citizen to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) is of great importance to the Culver City Police Department. In accordance with California Penal Code 26150 et. Seq., and subject to Department policy and procedures, any Culver City resident may be issued a CCW from the Chief of Police, if qualified.
The Culver City Police Department does not approve or endorse any private companies that offer “Streamlining Services” to assist CCW applicants with the application process.
Department of Justice Application(PDF, 3MB)
Amendment Application(PDF, 1MB)
Livescan Form(PDF, 433KB)
Firearms Training Providers(PDF, 129KB)
If you have questions about the CCW process, please call: (310) 253-6251
EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2022
CCPD will only accept first-time CCW applications from those who reside within Culver City and encourage applicants residing in a municipality other than those served by CCPD to contact their local police chief and apply for a CCW license.
The applicant will thoroughly complete, read, and sign Sections 1 through 5, as directed. Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency. of the Department of Justice Standard Application. The completed application can be submitted to the Culver City Police Department in person to the Records Section located at 4040 Duquesne Ave, Culver City, CA 90232.
A $70 non-refundable exact cash or credit card charge will be collected with the application. When your application has been assigned to the Investigator, you will be contacted by telephone to be scheduled for an in-person interview.
Each applicant must:
- Be of good moral character.
- Be a minimum of 21 years old.
- Own a registered firearm in California.
- Reside in Culver City
- Pass Psychological Evaluation
As part of your background check, you will need to complete a live scan. This step is not required prior to submitting your application. You will receive instructions on how to complete a live scan at the time of your interview. To find your nearest live scan location refer to the Department of Justice website.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the live scan operator inputs all information correctly. Failure to verify the following information will result in having to complete a secondary live scan and delays the application process.
- Applicant title: Concealed Weapon License
- Application type: Standard CCW
- Applicant Information
The following documents are required and will be submitted at the time of your interview. Any required document not provided, will result in a cancelled interview and will need to be re-scheduled.
- Valid California Driver’s License, or California Identification Card
- Two Utility Bills – must be in the applicant’s name, have the current residence address, and cannot be past due. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- DD-214 (if applicable)
- Three reference letters
Applicants must successfully complete a firearms training course, per Penal Code 26165. After a thorough background investigation, the applicant will be contacted by the CCW Coordinator to proceed with firearms training from a Culver City Police Department approved Training Provider.
- New Applicants must complete a training course lasting at least 16 hours.
- Renewal applicants must complete a training course lasting at least 4 hours.
- The course shall include instruction on firearm safety, firearm handling, shooting technique, and laws regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
- All firearms shall be inspected by the Culver City PD Rangemaster to ensure that it is safe, operable, and in compliance with CA state and federal regulations.
- Applicants must complete and pass a live fire course with each firearm to be listed on the license.
Any handgun that the applicant intends to carry and have listed on their CCW license shall meet the bellow criteria prior to being used during their required firearms training. Failure to follow the criteria or failure to adhere to CA state and federal regulations will result in the immediate suspension and/or revocation of the license.
- The handgun must be registered/DROS to the applicant.
- The handgun must be concealable upon the person or reasonably sized bag or purse.
- The handgun, magazines, and ammunition must be in compliance with applicable CA state and federal laws.
- “AR Pistols” and similar handguns are not permitted.
The CCW Coordinator will contact the applicant by phone to schedule a pick-up date for their license to carry a concealed weapon.
On the day of pickup:
- The applicant is required to bring $280 exact cash or credit card
- Please respond to 4040 Duquesne Ave Culver City CA 90230
- Walk directly into the lobby and advise the front desk personnel that you are there to pick up your CCW license.
CCW Non-Refundable Fee
Fees are subject to change
- Application Fee: $70 (Initial and Renewal)
- Live Scan (DOJ): *Live Scan Fee varies per vendor (Two-Year)
- Initial License: $280 Standard (Two-Year)
- DOJ Renewal Fee: $52 Standard (Two-Year)
- License Renewal: $29 Standard (Two-Year)
- Psychological Evaluation: $150